Sunday, May 3, 2009

We Heart Arkansas!

We traveled to Hot Springs, Arkansas this past weekend. We loved it! We stayed at the neatest old hotel called the Arlington. (It's it the background of this picture.) It has an authentic feel to it, since it was built in the 1920's- complete with a revolving front door, vaulted ceilings, classical style scaffolding and decor. It is located in the heart of old Hot Springs by the original bath houses. By day we ventured out to window shop and look for food. At night Carol and I got an overdue bath and massage (I highly recommend this.) After the kids were in bed, Jer and I went for a drink on the veranda of the hotel.

My favorite place to eat during our stay was the Pancake House- wonderful pancakes and sausage with an old time feel.

On Friday we went to the Coleman crystal mines. This was by far my favorite thing to do; it was like going on a treasure hunt. The kids loved it- they got to get dirty (very dirty in the red earth) and run and play everywhere.

Daddy shows the girls what crystals look like and how they grow.

Victoria finds her first crystal.

Bella finds her first crystal.

On Saturday, the weather didn't cooperate, so we decided to head home, instead of hiking up the hill behind our hotel. On the way (or rather an hour or so out of the way), we stopped at Jer's battlefield that he wanted to see- Poison Springs Battlefield. We were expecting something, but the most they had was a plaque and trails, no restrooms. I loved the lush green trees and shrubs of Arkansas, and how the trees were so tall.

Jer, the girls, and I hiked the trail at Poison Springs for a brief minute, before the rain started again. It rained on and off all the way home. All in all, a great trip! But if I never hear the words "My tummy hurts!" again, I'll be happy. (Bella kept trying to get out of her car seat by saying this wonderful phrase, repeated at least one hundred times, at least.)


1 comment:

patti said...

arkansas, arkansas is a great land. It's the place that I call home...

yes, that was a song we learned in elementary school to celebrate our great state. now you know how I miss the trees!! and i do remember that pancake place but never ate there...that's on my list now.

so glad you guys had a great time. it really is a great place!

Build A Bear

Lake Ray Roberts

Memorial Weekend 2009

Brothers Visit

Christmas '08

PA Vacation Slideshow