Wednesday, January 28, 2009

1st Ballet Class

Today was Victoria and Bella's first dance class. I didn't think we were going to have it, due to the ice storm, however, I'm glad we did. I had to wake the girls up from their naps, and Victoria protested all the way there. "I don't want to go to ballet class!" (Big fit!) But once inside the studio, it was Bella who let out a big scream with pouting lips- "Mommy!"

They looked so cute! They did tap first for 20 minutes, then ballet. There class has 6 girls in it, and they are probably the youngest. I think the others are four years old, whereas Bella is two and Victoria three. I kept peeking in at them (through the only window which is super small and so high that I have to tip toe to see) and several times was mortified to find my girls totally not paying attention. The first time I see all the other girls up front with the teacher, and Bella and Victoria are in the back of the room lying on the floor on their stomachs and elbows with their hands under their chins. The other parents made me feel better and said that this is common at that age and that their kids did the same thing, however they also we're laughing hysterically at them as well.

Yes, my kids provided the comic relief of the day. One time when I peeked in I saw the kids (including Bella) following directions and doing jumps- all except Victoria who chose to do her own production of Swan Lake- sitting on the floor with her legs under her and hands in the air swaying. Several other times I saw her checking herself out in the mirror and creating her own ballet program.

Bella was a good pupil. She tried to do everything the teacher did and you could tell she was paying attention with all of her might. I was also surprised when the teacher had everyone sit down and stretch and saw that Bella can put her head to her knee with no force.

It was really good having both girls in the same class. In the beginning, they stayed together and I think it helped Victoria as much as Bella. Victoria is my shy one and it takes her about 30 minutes in a new environment before she's able to be herself; I think having Bella there cut the time in half. And it benefited Bella because her sister was a friendly face- she only cried for the first 30 seconds and then held Victoria's hand.

I couldn't take pictures at the dance studio, because the windows were so high up and I thought there would be a glare. Once the girls were home I asked them to show me what they had learned, hence, these pictures. I should note that the girls did not want to leave class after it was over and wanted to go find their teacher and say hi. I think Victoria's glad I dragged her out of bed today.









1 comment:

The Potts Family said...

Those precious little ballerinas!
I told my mom and Jay all about Victoria in her own little production. I can totally see her doing that!

Build A Bear

Lake Ray Roberts

Memorial Weekend 2009

Brothers Visit

Christmas '08

PA Vacation Slideshow