Sunday, January 2, 2011

Acorn People and New Years

Victoria and Bella went over to Grandma Carol and Grandpa Dick's house on Wednesday. They were so happy to spend some one on one time with them. They made Acorn People, by gluing two acorns together and decorating them. Dick found these gigantic acorns in a neighbors yard. What a creative idea that was passed down from Carol's mom- Grandma Max.

New Year's Eve was pretty low key. We had our friends Dan and Darcy come over for dinner and to play a game. Finally at ten o'clock we we all started yawning, so we poured some champagne for us and gave the kiddos some cider in plastic wine glasses.
I got to see the New York ball drop at eleven, then turned over and went to sleep.
Happy New Year to all!

One of my favorite traditions is to eat a pork and sauerkraut meal for New Years Day. So on Saturday we headed over to my Mom and Dad's house. My favorite part of the meal is a tie between a hot dog with sauerkraut that soaks into the bread (so you have to eat it fast before it disintegrates) or a dumpling with equal parts of sauerkraut on it. My mom has got this meal perfected, here is the recipe-
Brown 4-6 pork chops in a large skillet/roasting pan with lid
Add 2 jars sauerkraut (Vlasic Old Fashioned), 3 jar fulls of cold water, salt and pepper, and the hot dogs and heat at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Then follow the directions for dumplings on the Bisquick package. Mashed potatoes are optional.
After supper Victoria and Bella made Hershey's peanut butter cookies with the Kiss in the middle for everyone. They did a good job! Afterward we went outside and played with some sparklers and "Cindy Chasers" (little spinning fireworks that have been known to chase me from time to time.
Waiting patiently for the sparklers.

They were very careful with the sparklers, almost a little too timid, until Jer shows them how to write your name with them.




1 comment:

Colleen said...

And Dick thinks Aunt Colleen is creative? I'm impressed with the acorn people. And gosh, those are gigunda acorns!

Didn't know you liked the pork/sauerkraut -- guess it's just in your blood. Did you know pap pap used to make home made? A friend of ours still does and I have my own little crock that I give to him every year to fill up!

I really need to call your mom -- I'll put in on my list for tomorrow or Thursday.

Build A Bear

Lake Ray Roberts

Memorial Weekend 2009

Brothers Visit

Christmas '08

PA Vacation Slideshow