Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sally

My friend, Jeremy's Aunt Sally died today from lung cancer. I sit here with a glass of Asti and dark chocolates, just the way she would have liked it. I remember playing great Trivia games with her that lasted way too long. I remember when I was in college and had very little money, she gave me some of her old fancy clothes for my upcoming job interviews. I remember her giving Victoria a big beautiful helium butterfly balloon for her 1st birthday- that was her favorite present that year as she toted it throughout the house on a string. I remember her singing to my kids and their cousins when they were little, my kids loved "This is the Way the Ladies Ride Early in the Morning" with the special effects of bouncing them on her lap. Sally was always a lucky lady at the race track or at cards; every time I went with her she won big. Sally always spoke her mind and wasn't afraid of much- she had a grit to her, and I liked her for it. She was real. When I went to go see her at the nursing home, she held my hand and told me she was ready to die and go be with her Mother Max in heaven. I know she is. I'll miss her.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were lucky to get to know her and I know she was lucky to have you too. It's never easy to lose someone you care about, but it is definitely better when they are ready for it. Hugs.

Build A Bear

Lake Ray Roberts

Memorial Weekend 2009

Brothers Visit

Christmas '08

PA Vacation Slideshow